Altona Beach

Altona Beach

Sunday 10 April 2011

Right Place, Right Time, Wrong Lens

Today was quite a learning experience with the camera and its lenses.  We had a football match to attend this morning.  It was my nephew-in-law's first football match, so naturally I took the camera along.  Out of the three lenses I had to choose from (18-55mm, 55-250mm, or the 50mm portrait lens), I chose the 55-250mm lens which turned out to be a wise decision.  It enabled me to get photos that I wouldn't normally have gotten using one of the other lenses.  Looking at my nephew out there playing, certainly took me back about 20 years.



After the football match we travelled to Ballarat to see the Woodworkers Market, where my stepfather-in-law was showing off his wood carvings for the first time in public.  On the way there we stopped off at home to grab a few things, and I had the chance to change the telephoto lens with the 18-55mm lens, but I didn't think I would need to change the lens over, so I left it.  I later regretted that decision.  When we got there, the market was in a sports centre, which was good because it was in out of the weather.  After walking around for a little while searching for my stepfather-in-law's stall, we had finally found it.  Pretty much straight away my mother-in-law asked me to take some photos of the stall.  I turned the camera on, and started to zoom out on the stall only to find that the lens wouldn't zoom out anymore.  Argh shit I should've used the other lens.  For the rest of the day I had to make do with the telephoto lens.  I found that it was good for focusing on most things, but then there was the odd close up shot where the lens was totally useless.  I just had to make do with the telephoto lens, and for closeups I used the iphone.

2 comments:

  1. That is my biggest challenge too. But 99% of the time I take both lenses with me everywhere. I often switch back and forth between my 18-55 and 55-200. One thing though? Those close ups that feel too close? Sometimes are my most favorite shots, the detail in them is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've taken both lenses with me, but am sadly lacking a camera bag at the moment :( I know what you mean though by close up shots that feel too close, and totally agree, they can be the best shot you've taken for the day

    ReplyDelete